MQL5 Free EA – Verification by backtesting 22 “Catastrofix EA MT5”
In the “Verification by backtesting" series, we verify the performance of free EAs registered in the MQL5 community from the backtesting results. We hope it will help you choose EA.
* Membership registration (free) is required to download EAs and indicators from the MQL5 community, so let’s create an account by referring to this article!
The 22nd is “Catastrofix EA MT5“.
About Catastrofix EA MT5
Quoting from MQL5 official page
Our forex robot is designed to help traders maximize their profits while minimizing their risk.
It uses a correlation trading strategy to identify potential trading opportunities in the currency markets, and incorporates multiple indicators to help identify entry and exit points.
One of the key features of our robot is its advanced risk management system, which is designed to help traders manage their risk effectively. The robot uses a range of risk management techniques, including stop loss orders and position sizing, to help ensure that traders never risk more than they can afford to lose.
Please note that while our robot is designed to help traders minimize their risk, there is no guarantee of profit and past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results. As with any trading strategy, it is important to use proper risk management techniques and to only trade with funds that you can afford to lose.
Best features of this EA:
- This is an AI EA and it’s based on key entry and exit points
- It does not use grid or martingale or any other risky mehods
- It ses an advanced risk management system
- It has a Stoploss for each trade
- This EA can trade on many symbols, but recommended ones are entered in the EA settings as default
- The EA trades between 3 to 10 trades per week
- The recommended deposit for this EA is 200+ GBP for the recommended pairs
Symbols that expert trade best on them: EURNZD,GBPAUD,EURUSD,AUDNZD,NZDCHF,EURGBP,CADCHF,GBPCAD,GBPUSD,EURUAD
The expert only needs to be run on EURNZD H1 chart
- Risk % Per Trade: Set as per your appetite, we recommend no more than 2%
(E.g. If it is set to 2 and a trade hits SL than your loss will be 2% of your balance)
- Risk Type: Choose from either balance or equity
(Balance is highly recommended)
- Fix Lot: Set this to the lot size of your choice
- Close all at equity drawdown: Risk management option, set as you wish
- Equity drawdown$: Set as you wish for risk management purposes
- Custom Symbol Prefix: Some brokers have a prefix at end of their symbol:
(E.g. If the brokers symbols are a.GBPUSD then you will need to enter a. in this field)
- Custom Symbol Suffix: Some brokers have a prefix at end of their symbol:
(E.g. If the brokers symbols are GBPUSD.a then you will need to enter .a in this field)
- Trend strength value: 10 by default
- Trend sensitivity value: 21 by default
- Start Hour of Trading (0 To Disable Start Time):
(E.g. if you set this to 1 then the expert will not trade from hour 0 to 1 everyday)
- Start Minute of Trading:
(E.g. if you set this to 30 and the above setting to 1 as per the example the expert will not trade from 0 to 1.30 everyday)
- End Hour of Trading (0 To Disable End Time):
Same as start hour but enter a time value to stop the EA from trading
- -End Minute of Trading:
Same again for minute: Same as start minute but enter a time value to stop the EA from trading
- Slight change TP and SL (For prop firms): Adjust if required with prop firm use
- Close all orders on friday: Adjust if required with prop firm use
- Hour to close on friday: Adjust to the time you wish
- Trailing pips: If you would like to enable the trailing feature enter the value here
- Trailing start pips: Enter the value of the trailing start
- Breakeven: Adjust if you would like to breakeven your positions
- Breakeven start distance: Adjust the value of the pips here
- Breakeven extra pips for profit: Adjust as required
- Remove TP when trailing starts: Adjust as required
- Maximum Allowed Spread: (100 points by default, recommended)
If the spread (in points) is more than the inputted amount the expert will not trade
- Maximum Open Positions: (10 by default, recommended)
If the open positions (only this EA) are more than this amount it won’t open new trades
- (Safety) at any point, just one trader may trade a symbol: Adjust as required.
- Custom Magic Number: (5326111 by default)
If you are running multiple experts on one account, you can change each magic number so the EA’s don’t interfere with each other.
- Custom Comment: (Catastrofix by default)
You can enter anything you like in this field to help identify the trades made by this EA.
- Enable news filter: Activate as required
- Not trading hours before news: Adjust as required
- Not trading hours after news: Adjust as required
Past results don’t guarantee future results/ profits.
Trading “Catastrofix EA MT5"
It is an EA with a large profit and loss. There are no TP/SL settings, and the settlement seems to be due to the internal logic of the EA.
The trading time is longer and belongs to the Swing EA from Datetrade.
Screening based on default currency pairs
As the recommended currency pairs of this EA, 10 combinations filled with yellow in the figure below
EURNZD,GBPAUD,EURUSD,AUDNZD,NZDCHF,EURGBP,CADCHF,GBPCAD,GBPUSD,EURAUD is the default setting.
Since the supported currencies often differ in the usage environment, this time we conducted screening on the assumption that it will be used with a NOZAX Zero account.
The basic logic of this EA is considered to be a correlation trading strategy, but the logic cannot be inferred from the trading currency pair. (If anyone understands, please let me know in the comments.) ）
This time, we tested not only the yellow part (recommended currency pairs) in the figure on the left, but also the currency pairs in the blank cells.
- In this EA, you can perform the function “Test on all Market Watch symbols" by leaving “Symbol To Trade" blank as follows.
The test conditions are NOZAX Zero Account (ECN), initial balance of $1,000, period 1 January 2020 – 31 December 2022.
Some of the yellow target currencies also had low profit factors, so this time I selected the currency pair in the shaded cell in the left figure with PF1.5 as the border.
- I think everyone has different tastes around here. Choose the one that best suits your trading style.
Screening of other (cross yen currency)
As a recommended currency pair, “Cross Yen Currency" is not included at all. To confirm, we conducted the same test as above on the cross-yen currency.
The profit factors of each are as shown in the figure on the left, and AUDJPY performed relatively well.
Backtesting on screened currency pairs
Backtests were conducted on six currency pairs: EURBGP, EURAUD, EURNZD, EURUSD, GBPCAD screened from recommended currencies plus AUDJPY obtained by screening cross-yen currencies.
- Account: NZX Zero (ECN) (NOZAX)
- Currency pairs: EURBGP,EURAUD,EURNZD,EURUSD,GBPCAD,AUDJPY
- Timeframe: H1
- Initial Balance: $1,000
- Parameters: Risk % per trade: 0 (fixed lot), Custom Symbol Suffix: #
- Period: 1 January 2020 – 31 December 2022
These types of EAs have a low win rate, so the point is how much you can withstand losing. Since profitability is relatively high, it is better to set the number of lots low to keep the damage of consecutive losses small.
While there are many scalping, grid trading, and martingale EAs, these EAs are valuable when building a portfolio!